Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Titan boots with full RAM complement!

Well, the other night I populated all my dimms with the 4gb sticks I'd been sitting on and swapped out my procs, so I was really excited about that!

Unfortunately, now when I boot I"m getting an error about a DIMM failure, although the correct amount of RAM is noted. However it doesn't run in triple channel mode - there should only be 4 channels (12 sticks in triple-channel) but it shows 5.

The first time I booted the problem was with RISER DIMM 2. I swapped the sticks in RISER DIMM 2 and RISER DIMM 4, and then the problem showed as being in RISER DIMM 1. So not likely a problem with the actual RAM, but with the riser dimms.

Some googling has shown it's one of two problems at this point:
1. A hardware problem with my motherboard that I'm just going to have to live with, as earlier revisions of the mobo seem to have this problem fairly consistently (need to find out what revision I actually have)
2. A seating problem with the riser board that I can fix with some physical coaxing

I have to delve into this more.

I also think I put too little thermal grease on the riser CPU, so I guess dismantling it makes sense anyway to check distribution there.

In any case, I now have a booting system with my 16x 3.06ghz threads and 48gb RAM! awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment