Wow, what a night.
So I spent most of my evening messing around with my RAM because I was getting a memory failure message on boot.
After a great deal of faffing about, I isolated the stick that was causing the problems. The motherboard reporting on it was very strange because it actually reported a memory failure in a different DIMM than the one with the bad stick in. I found the bad stick by adding one stick at a time in the manufacturer-recommended order until I found the problem stick. Then I tried to boot with that stick and my system freaked with a "Can't access first 64kb of RAM" beep code. Bad stuff! Contacted Ebay seller, he's sending me out another stick of the same model. Yay good sellers.
OK so now I've got 44GB of RAM and finally got my SSD configured correctly (plugged into the SATA controller instead of the SAS controller)...was I going to just let all that RAM sit around and look pretty? It is quite pretty but NO!
I decided I'd take a swing at standing up the rest of the virtual infrastructure I need to run Unidesk. So I quick-and-dirty made a VM called RDS1 that I intend as my connection broker as a generation 2 machine, thinking let's take advantage of all the coolest new crap!
Then I downloaded, unpacked, and ran the Unidesk installer...and it installed. Just like that. Literally all I needed to do to install it was have the Hyper-V role enabled and run the damn installer...there were about 10-12 clicks involved in getting it installed. It was honestly more trouble getting Silverlight installed than it was getting Unidesk installed, haha - Silverlight required that I change my default security settings to allow direct file downloads in IE.
Now I'm preparing a gold image which means letting Server2012R2 update itself...which is a relatively long process. Unfortunately I had to generate another VM to create the gold image with because you have to use a gen1 machine for generating the gold image. Meh - the initial installation takes about 20 minutes, and the updates I know are going to take a long time so no biggie.
Man this was such a great day! wooT!
No comments:
Post a Comment