Saturday, December 3, 2016
A New Chapter
Yesterday was my last day at Unidesk, where I'd worked since July 2014 - about 2.5 years. When I gave notice a few weeks ago it was very touching how people reacted, mostly with initial dismay and disbelief about what I said was next for me, and then with repeated and warm well-wishes.
As you can probably tell from the cake they got me, I'm moving to New Zealand and planning to live The Van Life a bit.
I've been planning this for quite a while - I have a small mini-ITX rig set up that I can fit pretty easily in a suitcase and some wireless peripherals (well and a wired gaming mouse lol), and just finally bought a really nice Dell Chromebook 13 (typing this on) which is going to be my primary "endpoint". I'll get a cheap LCD monitor locally to do proper work on my desktop.
What am I going to be doing there? I'm not sure yet! Some fun and exciting and scary things, pretty sure - like living as a technologist in a van.
The van thing isn't 100% for sure - but it's all I'm thinking about. I've always wanted to live like that, very lightly and efficiently - and many think the same way. I'd rather the outdoors be my living room. I've come to realize that for me, forn now, little physical space is required and in fact I prefer it that way.
And then there's the discussion of what I'm going to be doing when I'm not jammed in a van! I'm going to be speaking with my alumni network (lean though that it is in NZ) and trying to set up interviews with IT VARs...but in any case I'm going to really focus on going down a more technical path, whether it's in operations or support or engineering - but not 100% in sales.
Or so I say for now, ha. I really do enjoy the challenges of business development, but I feel the call for moving back towards a more technical direction.
Watch this space - probably going to be talking about my technical choices, what classes if any that I participate in, etc.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment